Administrative Assistant Job Description
KWP Standard Administrative Assistant Job Description
Administrative Assistant Role
The Administrative Assistant will perform administrative and office support activities for a single manager, multiple supervisors, or team members. The primary objective is to support these co-workers by keeping them organized, on-schedule, and effective. The administrative assistant acts as an ambassador of the organization and exemplifies the company culture. Duties include fielding telephone calls, managing email, creating and editing documents, spreadsheets, reports, presentations, managing the calendar, and completing a variety of office assignments from your supervisor. Administrative assistants may help with overflow work from administrative and executive assistants and fill in for the office receptionist as needed.
Administrative Assistant Responsibilities
The administrative assistant should have a service mentality, always on the alert for ways to help others with their work and responsibilities. Using excellent organizational, time management, and communication skills, the administrative assistance will fulfill the following general responsibilities:
- Schedule and organize complex activities such as meetings, travel arrangement, events, and department projects.
- Perform desktop publishing. Create visual presentations for executive officers and management.
- Establish, develop, maintain and update both physical and electronic filing systems for managers and team members.Retrieve information from files when needed.
- Handle all correspondence for assigned managers and team members. Draft routine correspondence and expedites urgent, confidential, and important correspondence to appropriate personnel as needed, accurately and free from errors.
- Respond to regularly occurring requests for information.
- Handle incoming customer calls professionally, take messages or field answers on all routine and non-routine questions from internal and external parties.
- Work independently and within a team on special nonrecurring and ongoing projects.
- Act as project manager for special projects, which may include planning and coordinating multiple presentations, distributing information, and coordinating direct mailings.
- Type and design general correspondences, memos, charts, tables, graphs, routine reports, etc. Proofread copy for spelling, grammar and layout, making appropriate changes. Responsible for accuracy and clarity of final copy.
- Schedule and coordinate meetings, conference calls, and events with internal and external parties, making all required arrangements, including virtual meetings with remote participants.
- Schedule and manage foreign and domestic travel arrangements.
- Manage the calendar for the assigned managers and team members.
- Organize and facilitate logistics for on-site and remote meetings, including facility selection, set up, AV, catering, amenities, and facilitation. Prepare and distribute meeting agendas, manage meeting notifications, take notes, and handle meeting action items in a timely fashion.
Administrative Assistant Qualifications and Skills
- Communicate effectively in an appropriate and professional manner
- Apply excellent written and oral communication skills
- Use professional telephone techniques
- Work effectively without constant and direct supervision or guidance with a high tolerance for ambiguity.
- Work within deadlines
- Prioritize and manage multiple assignments
- Be flexible and adaptable to changing priorities and requirements
- Use Internet research skills
- Be proficient in the Microsoft Office Suite, including calendaring and task management
- The Certified Administrative Assistant, KWP-AA, desired
Administrative Assistant Attributes
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Friendly, out-going personality
- Customer service mentality and a team player
- Trustworthy; ability to handle confidential information and maintain employee privacy rights
- Diplomatic, fair-minded, and respectful
Key Performance Indicators (KPIs)
Specific KPIs are set by your manager. The KPIs listed below are commonly evaluated as a part of the administrative assistant role:
- Create accurate and complete documents and assignments
- Meet deadlines within the task or project specifications set by the supervisor
- Respond to inquiries immediately and resolve within the time specified by the supervisor or refer to an appropriate person
- Maintain an organized, tidy, and professional workspace
- Communicate professionally with co-workers and superiors
- Provide excellent internal and external customer service
- Solve routine problems quickly and independently using sound judgment
See the complete competencies and skills chart that supports this job description.